Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Best podcasts for writers, part 5: The Writing Cast

Today, I'm reviewing The Writing Cast, by Ivy Reisner. I've only listened to about eight episodes because that's all that iTunes has. It's possible to click on the archived months on the blog, select which entry you're interested in, and then listen to the MP3, but frankly, that's more work than I want to go through. (I tried clicking on the "Writing Podcast" category, but it left some out -- for example, the episode on writing humor.)

The podcast comes out twice a month, so it's easy to keep up with.

The format of the shows is pretty simple: Ivy provides a writing resource, talks about specific writing-related issues (for example, in February, she had one episode dealing with sentence structure and how to vary it), mentions other news that may be of interest (such as a new anthology or software that she's been trying out), and gives a writing prompt.

She's pointed to a few tools I want to check out, such as Changing Minds. Her discussion of haiku and renga was also very interesting.

The latest episode is for February 27, on conflict of interest. I'm curious to see what's up next. Since it does appear somewhat sporadic (twice a month, but not following any obvious pattern), it will probably never be my favorite podcast, but it's definitely worth a listen.

No comments: